The Best And Worst 2015 16 Television Shows

0
          So I did one of these for last season and it seemed to be well-received, so now I'm going to keep it going. Think I'll play with format a bit. As of me beginning to write this I'm not sure if I want to group everything by air date (Sunday shows, Monday shows, etc.), genre (like last year), random stream of conscience like most of my other posts, or something else. Also, do I do a bullet list, full paragraph form (again, like last time), or some hybrid of everything listed above. Well, let's find out together shall we?





         Monday

  • Gotham - They need to focus more on the mob, Penguin, and Riddler and leave the intro of the bigger super-villains until Bruce is ready to be Batman. After this upcoming season, have Bruce hit bottom and realize he'll never find his parent's murderer; then have him leave Gotham to learn how to fight crime. More importantly, Gordon needs a complete redemption. He's gone "dark" too many times, when he should be the lone beacon of moral righteousness. 
  • WWE Raw - I still make no apologies for my love of pro wrestling. Now with the brand split, the cruiser weights, and women actually being treated like wrestlers instead of softcore pinup models, I'm begging to like this more than I have in a long time.
  • Supergirl - Started out great, but fell off big time from the third or fourth episode until the finale. I get that they were on CBS, so the network probably pushed for a more traditional drama feel rather than a "superhero" show; but that can't work and do justice to the material. Especially when your special effects budget is so tight that you resort to cheesey "put a guy in red face paint and a cardboard suit and call him an android" villains. Couple that with CGI tornadoes that weren't even good enough to be in Sharknado, and you've just lost half your audience. Hopefully the move to CW puts this on par with early Arrow or Flash; which marries the drama and superhero storytelling with decent effects.
  • Sleepy Hollow - The first one and a half seasons were great, but since then this has barely been keeping its head above water. Once they defeated the original demon that was the "big bad" and stopped the horseman it should have been the end. Now they lost one of the main characters, so I may call it quits here before this jumps the shark...

Tuesday

  • Smackdown Live - See WW Raw on Monday night. One question though, how long does "Live" have to be in the formal title until it can be dropped and it's known the show is live each week? Hopefully soon...
  • Arrow - Know how I said CW does a better job at balancing the drama and superhero elements than Supergirl on CBS? Arrow is really toeing the line here. Their fix for lovelorn Felicity was to make her now hurt and snarky Felicity? Sorry, kill off the character; make Green Arrow go dark, and leave the mushy stuff to his sister and other friends.

Wednesday

  • The Flash - Best superhero show out there now. Perfect mix of drama, action, and humor. Keep it up!
  • Mr Robot - Fight Club meets Swordfish with realistic computer usage. If you can follow non-linear story-telling, and enjoy technically correct dialogue that doesn't dumb things down, then this is definitely a show for you.
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine - The best cast comedy show in a long time. It's not showing any signs of slowing...
  • The Goldbergs - As a child of the 80's, this is a perfect blend of comedy, family drama, and nostalgia.
  • The Muppets - CANCELLED?! I'm not sure what's wrong with everyone else, but I loved this show.
  • Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - I was just about to give up on this show, but now I have to see how they're going to do Ghost Rider. And I know they're not going to get more interaction with the movies, but could they have a few name drops or cameos to pull in the Netflix shows?
  • Marvel's Agent Carter - Another cancelled show? I would have liked one more season to give Peggy her happy ending and see the birth of S.H.I.E.L.D. Guess they'll address all that in flashbacks now.
  • Orphan Black - The final season approaches. It dragged a little last season, and I almost gave up, but it picked back up. Looking forward to seeing everything come to a close.
  • WWE NXT - More wrestling! And for a "Smart-mark, indy fan" like me, this is solid gold.
  • WWE Cruiserweight Classic - Like NXT, only with less talking and some more athletic matches. Hopefully this becomes an annual event.
  • Lucha Underground - The mexican heritage influenced telenovella with wrestling. Aye dios mio!!

Thursday

  • Legends of Tomorrow - I think they did a good job of giving each character some time to shine. Some of them sit in the background for a few weeks waiting, but then they get the spotlight. Sticking with the odd duck of the Arrowverse for now...
  • Impact Wrestling - They've never had the story telling ability of WWE, but they have, at times, had better matches and some good talent. Unfortunately a vast majority of that talent is now elsewhere (mostly in the WWE).

Friday and Saturday

No wrestling. No superhero shows. These are days to catch up on the DVR and Netflix...

Sunday

  • Fear the Walking Dead - I found the first season so underwhelming, I have yet to watch any of season 2. Unless this show starts to make some waves, I think I'll leave it behind.
  • The Walking Dead - The best show on TV. Not sure why people got so up-in-arms for the cliffhanger ending. It's got me excited the next season, for a show that will no doubt start to lose some steam as it's nearly impossible to keep up with the momentum it created at its peak...
  • Preacher - Started off slow, but ended with a bang. Really hoping this makes it to a 2nd season.
  • The X-Files - While I enjoyed the mini-series revival, it could have been shorter and stuck to one story. Everyone involved said they'd gladly come back, but I would much rather see a 2 hour made-for-TV-movie once or twice a year instead of a 4 to 6 week run once a year.
  • Galavant - Cancelling this was probably for the best, although I did enjoy it thoroughly. This show is better binged all at once instead of in a classic weekly format.
  • The Last Man on Earth - Still not sure why this works, but it does. Now they might go to war with other survivors? Oh farts...
  • Blunt Talk - Sir Patrick Stewart is comedy gold.
  • Ash Vs The Evil Dead - Comedy horror royalty. Hail to the king, baby.
  • Doctor Who and Sherlock - The best of the BBC, and both are on extended hiatus due to cast and crew being in such high demand. I'll savor every moment I can get of each of these shows when they're new.
  • Broadchurch - The slow burn perfection of the first season was all but forgotten due to an uneasy second season. Hopefully a third and final series can bring this back to the forefront where it belongs.
  • Game of Thrones - After 6 years of being told this show is perfect for me and I NEED to watch it, it deserves all the praise it gets. I'm only in the beginning of season 5, so hopefully I can find the time to catch up for the new season.

Stream to binge

  • The Defenders - 2 seasons of Daredevil and 1 of Jessica Jones are in the books. Now with Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Punisher, and the team-up event of all of them in the Defenders before they each continue their own shows again? Marvel's dark and gritty underground is hard not to watch.
  • 11/22/63 - A great little miniseries that is perfect for killing time while your other shows are on break.
  • Stranger Things - Didn't see this coming, but if you aren't hooked on it by now you're missing out. 
  • Voltron - Everything old is new again. This cartoon from my childhood was done justice with the updated series, and I'm looking forward to more.
  • Making a Murderer - Good to watch, but not to base a decision on as it's obviously biased and pushing an agenda.
  • Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - If you miss the Tina Fey style of comedy found in 30 Rock, this will scratch that itch. 
Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.
Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Accept !) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience.
Accept !